Whether you’re a master fisherman or someone who is new to deep-sea fishing, it’s important to spend some time going over some important tricks of the trade before you head out into deep waters with a fishing charter in Pensacola, FL. Here are a few tips that will help you get the best experience possible out of your journey.
- Check the weather forecast: Before you book your charter excursion, make sure you’ve looked at the weather forecast. The best results can be had on days with no rain and little wind. Calm seas are ideal for deep water fishing, both for the fish as well as for your own comfort. You don’t want to have to deal with a bumpy ride and potential seasickness that could ruin your experience. Once you’ve booked, make sure you keep up with the forecasts so you know how to prepare for the day.
- Bring refreshments: Many charters will allow you to bring your own cooler on board, which is good because then you can make the kind of food and drinks that will best suit your fancy. It also allows you to save money if your only other option is onboard meals.
- Consider extra expenses: Beyond the booking of the charter itself, there may be some other expenses you should consider. For example, it is customary to tip your captain or guide, so make sure you research typical gratuities for that type of service in advance. There are also some charter companies that will offer to clean your fish for you for a fee. That fee will vary from company to company, so it’s a good idea to research costs in advance.
- Don’t go while hung over: Once you get on board the boat and feel the motion of the water, your hangover will be magnified, and then there’s no going back. Take it easy the night before your big fishing excursion if you want to have an enjoyable experience.
- Sit in the back of the boat: If you’re new to deep water excursions, it can be a good idea to situate yourself in the back of the boat, which is a lot less bumpy than the front. In addition, the fish finder is often located in the back of the boat, so this can get you closer to what the captain’s seeing and potentially help you catch more fish during the day.
- Listen to instructions: Listen to everything your captain and deckhand have to say. After all, they’re the experts. Not only is this important for your safety, it’s also going to help you get better results out of their fishing. These are people who know the local waters extremely well and the habits of the fish in the area. If they tell you to keep your bait near the bottom or near the surface, it’s because they know where the fish are located in that area.
For more deep sea fishing tips, contact our fishing charter in Pensacola, FL. We can’t wait to take you out on a memorable fishing excursion!
Categorised in: Fishing Trips